Ness

Your reviews of Steam Early Access version

18 posts in this topic

this needs a speed up button to make the enemy turn go faster.  As it is now it suffers from the problem the mobile version had a while back, where if you have a bunch of enemies it takes forever to wait for them each to go through their turn.

I definitely agree with this. However, over the in the steam forum, devs have stated that this is not going to happen -but only if enough ask for it....so c'moooooooon devs, add an option to speed up the gameplay! pleeeeaaaaase!

For a general review- so far so good. It is fantastic to replay the campaign from another angle. The graphics certainly bring the game to life more..those bloodletters look good now. 

The UI is not done well...too many redundant clicks and mouse repositioning up and down across the screen. As a heavy point click point click game..there are many improvements the UI could make to cut the steps needed to make a move/action...for example, clicking to finish a move when action points are remaining would be more efficient by using the same space to 'confirm' or 'cancel'...

Deck building needs to get more support. As it is, in the early access stage, opportunities to build up the deck are lacking. As there is no gold economy in place.. there should be other ways to rake in cards...perhaps loot drops.. or gold per kills...

I would like to see replayabity improved vs the mobile version in the PC version. Adding incentives to replay the missions...something to differentiate between the mobile version...otherwise...what is to keep the player from just sticking to the mobile version?!

All in all, big applause to the devs for the early access release, it is awesome, and im looking forward to the games development. 

oh yeah, and the support team are doing an awesome job with the bugs etc.

IMG_3873.PNG

Initial opinion of the game is good. I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

Feature requests: Card Filter - Ammo Type. - I'd love to be able to filter my Equips / Use by Ammo type, so I could see which cards synergize together well, at a glance.

Game play: Reinforcements - This is the area of the game that I feel needs a lot of work. Right now, the campaign missions each feel too long, and in some cases way too difficult for their entry level.

Reinforcements appear without warning in many places, and start with 0 effort, meaning that they'll get in a free turn on you, because you just used your turn moving into their trigger zone. On top of that, the AI is smart, if they're out of range, they'll move once, then end their turn, then either move and attack, or attack twice. Meaning your triggering unit could be susceptible to up to 6 attacks before their next chance to act.

At my current level, it take 2-3 turns to kill 1 reinforcement on average. I have some legendaries that can drop an enemy in a single hit, but factoring in RNG like card draw, or misses, and I'm basing this off my 1st playthrough, not a seasoned deck, it's very easy to be overwhelmed.

I applaud the devs for being able to create content that is a challenge, and I welcome difficult gameplay. However, on the first playthrough, when we're just learning each suit and our card unlocks are spread across so many playstyles, it's very hard to tackle the challenges you've put before us, without a lot of re-playing and frustration.

Enemy turns: Some enemy units spawn across the map, and yet they get to have turns. Which means we sit through 3-5 seconds per unit for them discarding cards, and doing absolutely nothing. This just drags on an already long match. Enemy turns need to take place much faster. Considering this is a mobile port (and a great one), I'm surprised there isn't an option to speed up gameplay, like pretty much all the mobile games I play have. This really is a feature-request, but also a gameplay issue, since I think there is more than one way you could resolve this.

I think this game needs difficulty modes, that unlock as you play through the campaign. Right now, the 1st play-through, it's very hard to complete the mission, and side objectives the first time. Meaning we spend a lot of time, earning no Skulls, cards or runes, which leads to frustration.

Tone down Reinforcements. Less of them or Make them spawn with 10 effort. Constantly being ambushed, in a game with almost no way to heal your units, is not fun.

I think the Deck Builder interface needs a lot of work, but considering it's a port from a mobile game, it's not unusable. I'd just like to see this game evolve to more of a PC game, because this title SCREAMS potential.

I'd very much be willing to buy DLC that adds suits and cards, and support the developers, if some of these (IMO) small tweaks were eventually rolled out. I think overall Space Wolf is an amazing example of how mobile ports can work, and be fun, and is a great Tactics/Card hybrid. I really do love this game, after only a short period of time, but I'd like to see some of it's frustrating nuances ironed out, in favor of a more fluid and approachable system of progression.

Very early on in Space Wolf, you learn that the AI doesn't really make mistakes, and the deck is already stacked against you. I think having difficult AI is great, but it needs to be tiered, so that you can do a play-through, earn some cards, get some gameplay experience under your belt, before you're faced with Expert level AI, that ambushes you, positions out of line of sight, every turn (exploiting your lack of movement early game), and masterfully navigates the effort system, to maximum attack potential, starting in the 1st mission!

Right now, I'm a bit worried that once I beat the campaign once, I'll have no incentive to do it again, and I'll have been frustrated so many times, that I won't really want to. To me, Tactics games are about enjoyable, and replayable Campaigns. I love games like Fire Emblem, and that's actually what I was looking for on Steam, when I came across WH40KSW. I'd love to see expansions on the campaign, tiered difficulty levels, etc.

If that means expanding on the leveling process, great! More levels, or longer between them; That's fine. Hero Levels seem to greatly outpace Card Levels. I have a few level 2 cards, no level 3, and mostly level 1 card, but I'm level 8 and 3/4. I feel like I'll finish the game, and still be stuck with level 1-2 cards, with nothing to do but PvP, which isn't really what draws me to these kind of games.

Edited by Shonailo

Nice post Shonailo, I agree on most parts and found it a very constructive post.

I totally agree on the feature request ;-) that would be awesome.

The only thing I don't agree on that the game is too difficult, I immediately must admit that i have some experience on the mobile game, and I really like the challenge.

( so far I have made half way chapter 3 without out having to do a level again, and I also completed most side mission (skipped about 3 or 4 since i was playing a scout and rather want to do those on a terminator)

But the sound of hard modes sound actually really nice ;-)

On the other hand I do agree that the difference in difficulty might be a bit too steep between the intro mission and your first real mission.

I'm also kinda worries about replaying missions maybe a daily quest to do a certain chapter mission  (or kill X ammount of creatures) would bring joy into that with a nice reward. (I know there will be a challenge but that becomes at some point also quiet repetative) but i'm sure the devs will come up with something great coz so far i really like it ;-)

I never did play the mobile game, so I'm coming to this game fresh.

I find the learning curve is very steep, but that does make it a bit more rewarding. I just think that the early game, like the 1st chapter, is a bit overtuned, for people just learning the game.

I've beat every mission and side mission in the game (up to where I'm at now, Chap 3.3), except 2, Gathering Storm (Egil at +50%) and The Rain (Solo Run). I've gone back and tried to complete Gathering Storm side mission, but I discovered some truly disturbing things:

a) Enemies scale to your deck level. That's fine, except...

b) Allies do not scale to your deck level. Meaning that Gunnar and Ray (who I have at level 7 in my own squad), are low level, and easily killed by the new scaled up enemies.

c) Egil is a moron. This issue is seeded a lot in the AI, and a lot in the X-COM RNG. Egil's attack is a x3 75% chance to hit, yet he'll continuously miss all 3 shots. Whereas the enemy has a 60-something % chance to hit, and will almost always hit all 3.

Using Movecards and Effort lowering cards, and Jump packs, I've tried running full tilt to Egil. However, the higher HP i've been able to reach him at was around 45%.

Now, I could cycle my deck for Howls, until I topped him back over 50%, but Egil is, again, a moron, and will run across the map to the 1 enemy I'm keeping alive, and take more damage than I can heal.

Couple this with the fact that Gunnar and Ray are completely outleveled, and easily picked off by the new units with armor and higher health... I feel like I'm being punished for putting off this side-mission.

I've basically out-leveled it.

Sure my Hero can 1-shot most enemies. But I can't move across the map, kill all enemies solo, and reach Egil before his stupidity gets himself below 50%....

I think a larger part of the problem is again, Reinforcements. After Egil clears the 3 enemies attacking him, 3 more spawn instantly, with 0 effort, and Egil has already blindly run at them, so he's vulnerable to x6 attacks, right away. Attacks that rarely miss. That's 80x6 damage and it's happening about twice before you can reach him, at max movement.

I just think this side mission is crazy overtuned for chapter one, and it gets harder as I level.

If anyone has beat it, maybe you could give me some tips. As I've said, I'm brand new to this game.

Update:

I actually just beat Gathering Storm.

I made a Scout Deck, with no Sniper Rifles (Too much Effort). I used Bolters, and Lascannons (high effort, but bypass armor, which was a must). 16 move cards, with the -effort talent. I realized that the enemies have a Chain stun card, which I don't know how to remove the stun effect, but it was throttling my speed. So, I had to stack my deck with low effort cards just to be able to move.

1st turn wolf, moved him to the edge of the cliff to soak damage off of Egil (Because the Enemies in this game CHEAT and can shoot up ledges, and through walls that you can't shoot back from). So I exploited their cheating, and used my wolf / Gunnar as soaks.

This let me finish the map with Egil at 948 hp, just over 50%. Not for a lack of trying on his part... he constantly used x2 move cards, to put himself into the line of fire, without returning fire.... such a moron! lol.

I'm so glad I beat it, but it was so annoying due to Egil being suicidal, that overall it was more frustrating than anything lol.

44 minutes ago, Shonailo said:

If anyone has beat it, maybe you could give me some tips. As I've said, I'm brand new to this game.

He Shonailo, I believe not every side mission is ment to be completed instantly at the beginning, some of the side missions you will only be able to complete once you have completed chapter 3 and have enouph decent cards (fully upgraded teleports/jump packs/or sprints)

My current deck isn't stong enouph yet (also since i play scout, but will try when my term in good enouph)

1 minute ago, XIII said:

He Shonailo, I believe not every side mission is ment to be completed instantly at the beginning, some of the side missions you will only be able to complete once you have completed chapter 3 and have enouph decent cards (fully upgraded teleports/jump packs/or sprints)

My current deck isn't stong enouph yet (also since i play scout, but will try when my term in good enouph)

Yeah I'm starting to realize that. Though now only the Solo-Run of "The Rain", is the only side mission I have not beat. I'm only on chapter 3.3 (Chased by Flame) though

nice tactic shonailo, for The Rain i know when using a terminator with the epic teleport you can teleport from your start location to the left (where the chest is) that should help to by pass a few enemies ;-)

Shonailo, I was wong, sorry but I confused the mission with another mission. (the one with the dreadnaught).

I completed the mission tho, I did it with a terminator, and just rushed to the end of the mission (with sprints teleports and other lowcost cards)

Just make sure you keep up your armor and enrage at the end to kill the building.

Devs, I have a questions, for some cards the effort has changed.

Effort has gone up from 1 to 3 effort, Vortex Pattern from 0 to 3, and Terran unit mk2 from 0 to 2.

Effort now becomes less of a deck filler, but I also think now scouts will have a huge advantage since their movements cost way less.

For scouts you can use the following cards to move Run, Sprint, Blaze and Stun which are either 1 or 2 effort cards.

While power and terminator movements are costing 3 effort. (teleport/jump packs, supplies, dragonscale).

Changing the effort for terminators might have balanced it a bit more for the power armors. But I think it will make it worse for against a scout. (of course current scouts don't have a honored s. rifle at the moment so you need to calculate a bit better when to try to finish of your opponent)

So now my questions :P

- Why has the effort of these cards been changed? was it to make PVE a bit more challenging, or is this a way to see how PVP can be rebalanced?

- Might it change in the next release? (0.0.5)

【诚招代理】Q微信:237 5862 18办理各大学毕业证成绩单真实使馆认证教育部认证

does herocraft allow players to cheat in the pc version like they do on android/ios?

Hello,

I am getting pretty frustrated by the whole "miss"-system. I understand that it is essential to have shots missing, but srsly... just by logic, a space wolf that shoots an enhanced human point blank with a flamethrower or tries to hit them with a huge hammer just should not miss... Chaos Space Marines might have better reflexes and maybe dodge incoming attacks better, since they are still Astartes.

My Idea would be, to implement more stages of "missing" - like "miss, reduced, hit, critical, dodged" etc. and make it also dependant on the range at which you try to attack approximated by the general hitchance of the weapon. For instance, you recently changed the melee attacks to be able to hit around the wolf compagnion or in the front 3 tiles instead of only right in front (which i love btw), now for every swing with a power hammer, I'd suggest a hitchance of +20% right in front and -10 % to the sides calculated to the for instance 87% hit it has already. That seems reasonable and would resemble a "real" fight, where it is harder to hit someone diagonally to you than right in front. (If you wanted to be real clever, I could imagine better percentages for left-hand or right-hand equipped weapons, but I feel that would not be as important.) Same would go for a lasercannon. If you want to hit the furthest away, the chance of missing the enemy should naturally be higher and more dependant on the weapon quality and the wielders mastery with it.

All of this should increase the skill level a little bit and decrease frustration a lot, since you still miss, but you can't exactly miss 8 targets with a rocket straight to the middle of the lot (yes i had that happen to me multiple times).

Loving to play the game anyways, challenging and fun in the strategy aspects. It also has the lore down pretty well as far as I can tell - big thumbs up for that!

LG Cassy

First impressions are good. Graphics, sound and overall performance are in line with the system requirements list d.

Gameplay is a little ... funny. As previously stated, the drop pod chaos marines start with 0 effort which can be a bad thing depending on what you were doing.

Unlike the AI played Wolfs in the mobile version, the PC Wolfs appear to be rather hard of thinking, walking into the line of fire and missing way more often than chance says they should.

As well, unlike the mobile game, your squad mates seem to 'level down' when you go back and replay old missions. This would be fine if you got the original reward, but you don't.